Terms of Reference
Job Title: Consultancy to Provide Training on Media and Journalism
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Required number of candidates: 4
Language Required: English and Amharic
Deadline for Application: November 2, 2022
Expected Starting Date: As soon as possible
Tailor-made training matters!
Studies conducted by Mersa Media Institute in partnership with DW Akademie indicated significant gaps in competency and skills in the media workforce and unmet demand from media outlets for tailored practical training provisions that address the professional quality of their staff. Capitalizing on the insights learned from these studies and the experience gained out of the engagement in the media sector, MMI and DW Akademie are now partnering to provide media training packages with the goal to produce the next generation of digital storytellers, platform developers, and marketing professionals for the Ethiopian media market (established and startup). Mersa Media institute is positing to become a training provider on media and journalism education in Ethiopia. The purpose of the consultancy is to put together a dynamic and experienced team of media professionals to develop modules on selected thematic areas and provide training to digital content producers and journalists in Ethiopia.
Who can apply?
The aim is to bring experts in the field of media and journalism in order to jointly develop modules for practical training packages to train journalists. MMI and DW Akademie are looking for up to 4 passionate Ethiopian experts with an experience in digital storytelling, media production, journalism, communication and specialized reporting. The engagement of the experts spans from October 28, 2022, to June 30, 2023.
We would love to hear from you if you:
– Are a media expert preferably with experience in digital storytelling
– Have experience in providing tailor-made practical training to journalists
– Have experience in preparing training modules in the field
– Can fully participate in a training of trainers workshop on the methodology which is
mandatory to qualify as a trainer
– Are experienced in mentoring journalists in the course of pitching ideas and story development
– Have a reliable internet connection for remote work during planning and training
– Can take the training in person at the MMI training center in Addis Ababa when required
– Have a flexible training schedule and are able to work independently without
– Have good communication skills to maintain a smooth and collaborative relationship with international consultants, co-trainers, training participants, MMI staff, and project partners.
Scope of work
Being part of the training pool provides a golden opportunity for you to contribute to the betterment of journalism in Ethiopian media and the quality of content delivered to the public. The tasks will collectively take up to 50 working days per trainer and include;
– Co-create quality training modules as per the instruction of an international trainer.
– Contribute to the preparation of pre and post-training surveys and reports thereof.
– Prepare training matrix, schedules, and other training materials
– Deliver journalistic training sessions as a co-trainer and mentor trainees in between and after training sessions
– Perform other training provisions and project-related tasks, as may be required.
The requirement to be considered as a trainer:
Shortlisted candidates will be required to take a five-day Training of Trainers workshop on methodology to be considered as certified DW Akademie trainers. The training is conducted remotely with offline assignments and only candidates who successfully complete the sessions will be issued a certificate.
Who are we?
MERSA Media Institute is a nonprofit media policy think tank. We work to help create vibrant, responsible, and independent media institutions, professional unions, and education centers through research, capacity building, and institutional support in Ethiopia. DW Akademie is Deutsche Welle’s center for international media development. As a strategic partner of the German Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development, DW Akademie carries out media development projects that strengthen the human right to freedom of opinion and promote free access to information.
How to apply?
If you meet the criteria mentioned above, we invite you to apply. Qualified and interested experts are asked to send a resume and a letter of interest (1 page) that explains why you qualify for the consultancy to email@example.com until November 2nd at 5.30 pm EAT. Your CV should reflect your portfolio in relation to your experience in the field.
MERSA Media Institute is an equal-opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.