Employment Type: fixed term Contract
Duration of Employment: 2-years
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (20% travel)
Deadline for Application: April 25, 2020
Salary: 12, 500
Position Summary: The Data Scientist/ New Media specialist will be responsible for supporting MERSA Media Institute and it’s partners’ data journalism, fact checking and media monitoring efforts. The prospector will be working with a cross-functional team from various disciplines and media partners. Specific duties include structuring, architecting, analyzing and visualizing open data in all formats. Coding, curating and localizing open source algorithms to in-house needs, new media skills such as digital publishing, web and graphic design, social media monitoring and analytics are highly desirable skills.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support MERSA Media Institute’s data journalism, fact checking and data journalism labs under the flagship Dagu Media Labs Program.
- Map out open data sources, structure data in machine readable formats, build datasets, assist in analysis of patterns and visualization.
- Build unique digital platforms, codes and algorithms, adapt open source, creative commons codes that support data journalism, fact checking and media monitoring labs to be setup in partner media houses in various locations in Ethiopia.
- Help journalists use data for their reporting, making sense of numbers and hidden patterns.
- Digital publishing and management: graphic design, audio-visual content production for web and social media.
- Social media monitoring and analytics, supporting research efforts
- Perform any other related task as may be assigned.
- Advanced degree in data science or IT (2-5 years of experience)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and other local languages
- Leadership core qualifications including team work, creativity, strategic planning
How to Apply: Prospectors please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or through Ethiojobs.