Position: Project Associate – Data and New Media
Employment Type: fixed term Contract
Duration of Employment: six months
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (20% travel)
Deadline for Application: March 10, 2021
Organizational Profile: MERSA Media Institute is a nonprofit media policy think tank. We work to help create vibrant, responsible and independent media institutions, professional unions and education centers through research, capacity building and institutional support in Ethiopia.
Position Summary: The Project Associate for data and new media will be responsible for supporting MERSA Media Institute and it’s partners’ data journalism, fact checking and election reporting workshops under its flagship Dagu Media Lab program. The prospector will be working with a cross-functional team from various disciplines and media partners. Specific duties include project cycle management, coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting of Dagu Media lab related activities. New media skills such as digital publishing, web and graphic design, social media monitoring and analytics are highly desirable skills.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support MERSA Media Institute’s data journalism, fact checking and data journalism labs under the flagship Dagu Media Labs Program.
- Digital publishing and management: graphics design, audio-visual content production for web and social media.
- Social media monitoring and analytics, supporting research efforts
- Support in project planning and implementation
- Help design a plan for resource utilization and take corrective action when necessary
- Develop and ensure appropriate tools and strategy to monitor progress, quality and impact of MMI projects
- Assist in events planning, management and other project related activities.
- Perform any other related task as may be assigned.
- Advanced degree in project management, journalism, data science or IT (0-2 years of experience)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and other local languages
- Leadership core qualifications including team work, creativity, strategic planning
How to Apply: Prospectors please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
MERSA Media Institute is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with anti-discrimination law, it is the purpose of this policy to effectuate these principles and mandates. MERSA Media Institute prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.