Terms of Reference
Position: Programs Coordinator
Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract
Duration of Employment: 6 months – 1year, with a possibility of extension
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, mandatory occasional travel
Application Deadline: March 31st, 2023
Organizational Profile: MERSA Media Institute is a nonprofit media policy think tank. We work to help create vibrant, responsible and independent media institutions, professional unions and education centers through research, capacity building and institutional support in Ethiopia.
Position Summary: The Programs Coordinator will be responsible for overall program team leadership, coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and for the successful accomplishment of MERSA Media Institute’s various projects, while remaining aligned with strategy, vision and goals of the organization. The Programs Coordinator will also be responsible for managing and supervising multiple project staff, budgets, operational plans, and strategic use of resources to lead the implementation of innovative projects in the areas of media reform, regulation, innovation for dialogue, journalism education and media viability. Working under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Programs Coordinator is expected to work independently and effectively in managing the overall program, coordinate with the finance department and manage designated projects under her/his portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and lead multiple projects and cross-functional teams in a fast-paced, problem solving and efficient systems development and implementation
- Engaging in project proposal preparation and report writing of projects
- Develop and lead overarching program implementation strategies and plans to create synergies and coordination between various project-based interventions at MMI
- Track projects cycle management and build systems and processes that ensure quality delivery, ownership and accountability
- Ensure that all projects are delivered on-time, with quality and in accordance with allocated budget
- Maintain existing project tracking systems and tools at MMI (Trello and Sinidu), develop strategies to monitor their effectiveness, and improve the efficiency of program management systems and processes
- Enforce adherence to organizational policy and procedures and inspire responsibility and accountability with staff
- Developing effective internal communications strategies and liaison with external partners/donors.
- Working closely with finance and project team, support systems and processes that foster compliance, checks and balances, and collaboration.
- Ensuring that internal control systems are in place to support positive audit results, provide training and mentorship to staff, set accountability standards.
- Edit and assist in the development of narrative reports, check the accuracy of financial reports
- Quality check on research publications, training materials, website and social media content
- Assist Executive Director in project ideation, design, and writing to bid for new projects
- Developing program risk assessment and mitigation mechanisms with project team
- Lead new business development processes
- Lead human resource development processes, train and mentor direct reports, inspire excellence
- Lead organizational functions in the absence of the executive director
- Perform any other related task as may be assigned
- Proven experience in program management/coordination and media development related work
- Team management and effective communication skills
- Experience in project monitoring and evaluation
- Advanced financial literacy in budget process and accounting
- Bachelor’s Degree in law, project management, economics, finance, business administration, media studies, or other relevant field with 5 or more years of experience in project/program management or a master’s degree in project management, MBA or other related fields with 3 years of NGO/private sector experience
- Excellent written, editing, and oral communication skills in English and other local languages
- Track record of getting things done
- Problem solving mentality and experience
- Demonstrated experience in systems design and implementation
- Research, text editing, teaching, public speaking experience
- Core leadership qualities: Coordinator, monitor evaluator, implementer, completer finisher, team worker–highly desirable
- Avid learner, thrives under pressure – a no-brainer
- Creative, storyteller, visual thinker
- Strong conflict management skills
- Expert knowledge of project tracking tools such as Trello and Google products
- Demonstrated experience and leadership ability to inspire change, lead the way, communicate shared organizational mission, vision and values to empower decision making and responsibility
How to Apply: Prospectors, please send your resume, cover letter, and unedited sample work to firstname.lastname@example.org
MERSA Media Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.