Title of the assignment: Handbook author
Brief description of the Assignment: The incumbent will produce an internal and external organizational communication strategy as per the bylaw and strategic plan of EGE.
Department issuing the request: Editors Guild of Ethiopia
Place of assignment: Addis Ababa
Duration of the assignment: Two weeks
Tentative Date of commencement: July 10, 2022
Deadline for applications: July 4, 2022
Applications to be submitted to the following online website address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms of Reference for handbook author
1. Hiring Organization: Editors Guild of Ethiopia
Editors Guild of Ethiopia, a professional association that strives to help create a professional, responsible and independent media sector in Ethiopia. EGE is a non-governmental non for profit association devoted to advocate for free, independent and credible media industry with high ethical and professional standards as well as enabling the public to exercise its rights and freedoms. EGE has taken its mark of establishment in October 29, 2019 via registering under the civil society organizations proclamation number 1113/2019 and coded as 4527.
Vision: – A free, independent and credible media industry with high ethical and professional standards, enabling the public to exercise its rights and freedoms
Mission: – Safeguarding media freedom and independence through continual improvement of the media environment in the country, while building and setting professional capacity and standard in the sector
Values: – Professional Integrity, impartiality, accountability and transparency
– To conduct effective advocacy work for the implementation of legal and policy reforms that would indirectly affect the constitutionally enshrined rights such as freedom of speech, information and assembly;
– To work for the creation and strengthening of free, independent and credible media sector in Ethiopia as it is the bedrock for a democratic society;
– To promote professionalism in the sector and enable ethical and professional journalists take up a more prominent role in the sector;
– To protect journalists and editors from undue pressure that might arise from various political and business interests;
– To leverage professional networks and collaborations with other media associations to protect journalists and editors from undue pressure and attack, including the provision of legal assistance and issuing statement of support;
– To build the capacity of journalists and editors through series of trainings and workshops, conduct research and sturdy that would benefit the sector and when necessary weighing in on professional ethics and code of conduct.
2. Terms of Reference
2.1. Development of a Communication Strategy for Editors Guild of Ethiopia (EGE)
In this regard, to further strengthen the capacity of the association to fulfill its mandate, in particular that of awareness raising, advocacy and capacity building there is need to develop a Communication Strategy, which members, the executive committee and the employees of the Guild communicate internally and externally.
2.2. Objectives of the Assignment
The objectives of this assignment are twofold:
1. Develop a communication strategy aimed to increase communication internally and with external bodies such as partners, peer associations, regulators and media institutions.
2. Design a strategy for the strong and frequent internal communication among guild leadership at various levels.
3. Develop a communication strategy that looks into the goal, target, plan and channel of communication so that organizational objectives are easily met.
4. Design communication materials targeting different audiences as identified in the strategy.
2.3. Assignment Tasks
Under the guidance of EGE, the specific tasks of this assignment include:
1. Conduct a desk review of available data
2. Conduct a baseline assessment to inform development of the communication strategy.
3. Develop a communications strategy for EGE to enhance the awareness, understanding, and knowledge of the general public, of key stakeholders in the government, private sector, civil society, etc. at the national and local levels.
4. Specify appropriate communication channels, dissemination methods and media such as video, print, web/online media, traditional media, and social media, among others, to effectively communicate key messages to specific stakeholders.
5. Design a standard publication layout for EGE for use in future publications.
6. Develop guide for all major communication issues to ensure consistent formats for publications and communication products.
7. Conceptualize, design and develop Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials with appropriate and relevant messages tailored for key stakeholders using various formats as appropriate such as text, graphics, imageries, info graphics, video, printed materials, etc.
8. Develop a freewheeled implementation plan for the advocacy and communication strategy including the annual activities related to advocacy and communication.
The company/consultants will work closely with EGE leadership to make the strategy inclusive and all rounded in all aspects.
2.4. Expected Deliverables
The following are the expected assignment deliverables:
- An inception report detailing the process of the development of the strategy.
- An outline of the communication strategy.
- A first draft of the communication Strategy and coasted implementation plan.
- Strategy validation workshop with the EGE’s leadership and incorporation of inputs.
- A final version of the Communication Strategy and coasted Action Plan, incorporating comments on the first draft.
- Draft communication materials to be validated by EGE and other key stakeholders.
- Design and production of IEC materials for various audiences such as imageries, info graphics, printed materials, etc.
3. Required Experience
The company/consultant (s) should:
– Demonstrate prior experience in developing a communication strategy, ideally in the media context.
– Have a good understanding of media and communications in Ethiopia.
– Have at least five (5) years of progressively advanced experience in strategic communications, media, public advocacy, which must include developing communications and advocacy strategies at the global, regional or national level.
– Have relevant experience in working with government and/or international/local non- governmental organizations on consultancy assignments, especially in strategic communications planning.
– Have experience in producing good communication and advocacy materials for use by clients.
– Have excellent proven written and spoken English/Amharic and strong oral and written communication skills.
Timing and duration
The duration of the assignment will be for 15 working days.
Deadline for proposal submission
Interested consultants should submit a detailed technical and financial proposal on the basis of following points:
- A letter of interest stating why you are eligible for the assignment.
- A Technical and Financial proposal which should include a description of the proposed methodology to be used, a schedule of planned activities.
- Detailed budget including professional fee Birr. For communication materials to be developed subsequent to the development of the strategy, an indication of unit costs should be provided.
- CV of the professional to undertake the assignment including a summary of similar assignments undertaken previously.
- At least 3 references of previous mandates.
- Samples of materials that have been produced as well as samples of Community Strategies developed.
Send Technical and Financial proposals to email@example.com no later than July 4, 2022.
Editors Guild of Ethiopia is an equal opportunity employer. We afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.