Employment Type: fixed term Contract
Duration of Employment: Six months (with the possibility of extension)
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Deadline: September 10, 2021
Start Date: October 1, 2021
Organizational Profile: Editors Guild of Ethiopia is the first and the only professional union of editors across Ethiopia. Founded in 2018 and registered a year later as a non-partisan, not-for-profit membership-based organization, the Guild aims at advocating the rights of journalist/editors in the country and work on professionalism in the media industry.
Position Summary: The Finance Officer will be in charge of overseeing the financial operations of the Guild and ensure timely and accurate financial reports and practices including cash management, payroll, financial disbursements, ledgers etc. The finance officer will also be responsible for entering financial information and maintaining all financial records for projects, for donors and the organization.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a financial management mechanism for Editors Guild of Ethiopia in accordance with organizational policy, IPSAS and donor requirements for the specified contract period.
- Provide continued strategic advice and assist in updating organizational manuals according to IPSAS guidelines.
- Process grant transactions according to organizational manuals, regulatory requirements and grant timelines and terms of reference.
- Manage project expenses, handle payment requests and disbursement for procurement of goods and services from contractors, handle documentation and settle/reimburse expenses for travel and training related activities.
- Deduct all applicable taxes from payments for the procurement of goods and services, comply with all applicable tax codes and file to appropriate authorities in a timely manner.
- Prepare and review cash flow for projects and submit a report to the Board Chairman and Secretary and other authorized project staff.
- Assist in annual and project specific budget preparation.
- Manage petty cash according to organizational financial manual; process authorized payments and document receipts.
- Document and keep records of all financial transactions, prepare accounting reports in accordance with project timelines and upon request from management.
- Quickly adapt and implement donor required accounting and reporting requirements and software.
- Take a lead in financial management and assist project staff and the executive committee in project cycle management, events planning and management and other project related activities.
- Perform any other related task as may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, or business administration (2-5 years of preferably NGO experience).
- Experience in handling grants for NGOs, IPSAS ready, and project management.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and other local languages.
- Leadership core qualifications including team work, planning and organizing
How to Apply: Prospectors please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Editors Guild of Ethiopia is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.