TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR TRANSLATION SERVICES
Job Title: Document Translator
Type of Contract: Individual Contractors
Language Required: Amharic and Affan Oromo
Duration: until 25 March 2021
Expected Starting Date: As soon as possible
Application Deadline: March 03, 2021
MERSA Media Institute is a nonprofit media policy think tank. We work to help create vibrant, responsible and independent media institutions, professional unions and education centers through research, capacity building and institutional support in Ethiopia.
Project: OPERATIONALIZING SELF-REGULATION OF ETHIOPIAN MEDIA
Project Background and Context:
This is a capacity building project that aims to initiate a process of well-informed stakeholder consultation, then forge a path towards consensus and operationalization of media self-regulation in Ethiopia; and to enhance the media sector’s engagement, ownership and trust of the self-regulatory mechanism. The FOJO-IMS media development for Ethiopia signed an agreement with MERSA Media Institute for this project.
Initially, a study identifying legal, institutional and other factors influencing media self-regulation in Ethiopia has been concluded. Also, five articles have been written on the way forward to operationalize media self-regulation in Ethiopia. A consultative workshop or validation meeting was then held to present the study as well as all articles, followed by discussions and deliberations. An English version of publication is now being finalized; including Ethiopia’s self-regulatory landscape study, comparative analysis, articles and recommendations proposed in the technical/validation workshop.
Objective of the Assignment:
The translator/s will be required to translate the above mentioned publication and any related contents shared to them for translation; from the English version to Amharic and Affan Oromo.
Scope of Work:
The translator will undertake the following duties and responsibilities and will be expected to;
- Make written translation and submit translation in word processed documents;
- Proof Read and edit the document
- Share draft translation with Page partners; Incorporate suggested changes to the translation
- All texts, including texts contained in figures, boxes, captions, sources and covers requires translation and proofreading
- Ensure high quality and accuracy of the entire document before submitting it
- Ensure accuracy of the terms and terminology used in the documents
- Consult with content writers and MERSA team when required
- Ensure that the translation is written with style, correct grammar and spelling, and
- Complete the work within the agreed timeline and submit the final translation in soft copy
- Review and comment on the graphic design proposed for the content
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- At least 3 years of professional translation experience in the relevant area
- Demonstrated good understanding of technical terms and terminology used in areas of media laws, self-regulation and related topics
- Proven skills in translation and interpretation from English to Amharic and Affan Oromo and vice versa
- Excellent communication skill in English, Amharic and Affan Oromo
- Ability to work independently; and
- Excellent computer skills in word and data processing and presentation
- Experience in the media sector is advantageous
The applicant is requested to submit the following:
- Personal CV, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate along with all supporting documents
- A list of organizations you have previously worked with
- Reference letters from last two employers
- Financial Proposal that indicates the quotation as per below;
- Per page for translation to Amharic and editing
- Per page for translation to Affan Oromo and editing
How to Apply:
All interested applicants are requested to submit their proposal by 3rd March 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the E-mail subject reading “Media Self-regulation: Translation Services”.
MERSA Media Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.