TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR TRANSLATION SERVICES
Job Title: Document Translator
Type of Contract: Individual Contractors
Language Required: Somali language
Expected Starting Date: As soon as possible
MERSA Media Institute is a nonprofit media policy think tank. We work to help create vibrant, responsible and independent media institutions, professional unions and education centers through research, capacity building and institutional support in Ethiopia.
Project: OSIEA(Election Reporting)
Project Background and Context:
This Project Proposes a Comprehensive and innovative model for media training, based on findings from a needs assessment research conducted by our organization in Ethiopia. We propose to launch six election reporting and data journalism labs to be hosted by public and private media in Addis Ababa, Amhara, Oromia, Tigray, SNNP and Somali regions. The labs will serve as centers that provide in-house journalism training and as hubs for collaborative network of data journalists and editors that address local and national information needs fact checking during the election period and beyond.
Objective of the Assignment:
The translator/s will be required to translate the above mentioned publication and any related contents shared to them for translation; from the English /Amharic Version to Somali.
Scope of Work:
The translator will undertake the following duties and responsibilities and will be expected to;
- Make written translation and submit translation in word processed documents;
- Proof Read and edit the document
- Share draft translation with Page partners; Incorporate suggested changes to the translation
- All texts, including texts contained in figures, boxes, captions, sources and covers requires translation and proofreading
- Ensure high quality and accuracy of the entire document before submitting it
- Ensure accuracy of the terms and terminology used in the documents
- Consult with content writers and MERSA team when required
- Ensure that the translation is written with style, correct grammar and spelling, and
- Complete the work within the agreed timeline and submit the final translation in soft copy
- Review and comment on the graphic design proposed for the content
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- At least 3 years of professional translation experience in the relevant area
- Demonstrated good understanding of technical terms and terminology used in areas of media laws, self-regulation and related topics
- Proven skills in translation and interpretation from English/Amharic Document toa Somali and vice versa
- Excellent communication skill in English/Amharic and Somali language
- Ability to work independently; and
- Excellent computer skills in word and data processing and presentation
- Experience in the media sector is advantageous
The applicant is requested to submit the following:
- Personal CV, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate along with all supporting documents
- A list of organizations you have previously worked with
- Reference letters from last two employers
- Financial Proposal that indicates the quotation as per below;
- Per page for translation to Somali
How to Apply:
All interested applicants are requested to submit their proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with the E-mail subject reading “Election Reporting: Translation Services”.
MERSA Media Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.