TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR TRANSLATION SERVICE
Job Title: Document Translator
Type of Contract: Individual Contractors
Language Required: Amharic and Affan Oromo
Start Date: May 10, 2021
Due Date: May 19, 2021
Expected Starting Date: As soon as possible
MERSA Media Institute is a nonprofit media policy think tank. We work to help create vibrant, responsible and independent media institutions, professional unions and education centers through research, capacity building and institutional support in Ethiopia.
Project: Supporting Network Building among Fact Checking Initiatives in Ethiopia
Project Background and Context:
In 2020, MERSA Media Institute in cooperation with DW Akademie implemented a media-house centered project that aimed at strengthening fact checking structures and enhancing skills and knowledge of journalists and media managers in four media houses. The main objective of this partnership was to create a bottom-up drive for fact checking training that allows news organizations to institutionalize a need based, in-house problem solving capability to address the challenges of building the professional skills of their staff.
Capitalizing on opportunities identified in a needs assessment study and findings from our support to Ethiopian media houses on fact checking in 2020, MERSA Media Institute in collaboration with DW Akademie set out with the objective of promoting the networking and exchange between fact-checking initiatives in Ethiopia for the year 2021. As part of the knowledge creation and institutional support process, MERSA Media Institute has developed a fact- checking guide in Amharic language that will be distributed to all actors engaged in fact-checking works in Ethiopia. The fact-checking guide will help create a knowledge base for fact-checking operations in Ethiopia, both for local and international actors.
Objective of the Assignment:
The translator/s will be required to translate and seamlessly edit the above mentioned publication and any related contents shared to them for translation; from the Amharic version to Affan Oromo.
Scope of Work:
The translator will undertake the following duties and responsibilities and will be expected to;
- Have a clear understanding of the working document and the context of local media operation as well as user generated content production and distribution, in light of hate speech, mis & dis-information, to be reflected in the translation and editing of the document.
- Make written translation and submit translation in word processed documents;
- Share draft translation with Page partners; Incorporate suggested changes to the translation.
- Edit the document to the level best in light of the structure, organization as well as readability of the text and the entire context.
- Edit the document in accordance with recognized professional standards and hence to the satisfaction of MERSA Media Institute.
- Proof read the document with regard to all language aspects.
- All texts, including texts contained in figures, boxes, captions, sources and covers requires translation and proofreading.
- Ensure high quality and accuracy of the entire document before submitting it.
- Ensure accuracy of the terms and terminology used in the documents.
- Consult with content writers and MERSA team when required.
- Ensure that the translation is written with style, correct grammar and spelling, and
- Complete the work within the agreed timeline and submit the final translation in soft copy.
- Review and comment on the graphic design proposed for the content.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- At least 3 years of professional translation experience in the relevant area.
- Demonstrated good understanding of technical terms and terminology used in areas of communication, journalism, fact-checking, mis and disinformation and related topics.
- Proven skills in translation, interpretation and editing from Amharic to Affan Oromo and vice versa.
- Excellent communication skill in English, Amharic and Affan Oromo.
- Ability to work independently; and,
- Excellent computer skills in word and data processing and presentation.
- Experience in the media sector is advantageous.
The applicant is requested to submit the following:
- Personal CV, indicating all past experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the candidate along with all supporting documents.
- A list of organizations you have previously worked with.
- Reference letters from last two employers.
- Financial Proposal that indicates the quotation as per below;
- Per page for translation to Affan Oromo and editing.
How to Apply:
All interested applicants are requested to submit their proposal by 19th May 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the E-mail subject reading “Supporting Network Building among Fact Checking Initiatives in Ethiopia: Translation Service”.
MERSA Media Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.