Terms of Reference
Position: Office Assistant
Employment Type: Fixed Term Contract
Duration of Employment: 6 months, with a possibility of extension
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Application Deadline: April 30, 2023
Organizational Profile: MERSA Media Institute is a nonprofit media policy think tank. We work to help create vibrant, responsible and independent media institutions, professional unions and education centers through research, capacity building and institutional support in Ethiopia.
Position Summary: The Office Assistant will be responsible for assisting in MERSA Media Institute’s procurement work, project implementations, finance duties and related taxing tasks. Working under the supervision of the Finance and HR Admin and Head, the Office Assistant is expected to work independently and effectively in managing the office workstations, coordinating with the finance department and the projects department under her/his portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide administrative support to all daily management, planning, implementation and coordination of the project activities
- Provide logistics support to project staff and consultants for travel arrangements, required budget and quotation, daily subsistence allowance (DSA) requests etc.
- Prepare accounting records, financial statements, and other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
- Conduct and support the arrangement of procurement activities.
- File and archive relevant documents (tender dossiers, proposals, evaluation reports, documents related project personnel, consultants, etc.) using the OpenText functions.
- Handle the expenditures of the office, ensuring complete documentation, inventory control and property management, in line with MMI standards and procedures
- Assist in the planning and organization of project steering committee meetings including drafting of agendas, circulation and preparation of reports, logistics arrangement.
- Communicate with relevant stakeholders and arrange meetings, visits etc. as necessary
- Arrange and facilitate internal team meetings and discussions, as necessary
- Perform other duties as requested
- Proven experience in office and/or finance assistance
- Team management and effective communication skills
- Written, editing, and oral communication skills in English and Amharic (other local languages is a plus)
- Minimum Level IV in Secretarial Science, Accounting, Management and related fields
- Computer proficiency, such as in MS Offices and Google Products
- Track record of getting things done
- Problem solving mentality and experience
- Avid learner, thrives under pressure – a no-brainer
- Creative, storyteller, visual thinker
- Strong conflict management skills
How to Apply: Prospectors, please send your resume, cover letter, and unedited sample work to firstname.lastname@example.org
MERSA Media Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.