Open call for Consultancy – Public editor
Terms of Reference
Position: Public editor
Type of Contract: Individual Contractors
Required number of candidates: 2
Deadline for Application: August 1, 2023
Expected Starting Date: August 7, 2023
Position Summary: The Public editor will be responsible for providing consultancy, training and mentorship for 3 Media houses, 2 in Addis Ababa and 1 in a selected regional state on editorial policy, complaint handling, and response procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish a rapport with media house managers, editors and journalists from the participating media houses
- Develop a tailor-made editorial policy for media houses with an emphasis on complaint handling and response procedures.
- Train media managers and editorial staff on media ethics, editorial policies, and complaint handling
- Develop a reference framework for cases that cannot be handled by media houses and are referred to the Ethiopian Media Council.
- Serve as an in-house public editor at selected media houses for the duration of the project
- Provide continuous mentorship to aid in the practical application of the policy.
- Provide advice and information to media houses on ethical standards, best practices, and safe ways to report on sensitive issues.
- Prescreen submitted content and investigate discrepancies in published or aired content.
- Lead an effective complaint management, ensuring fair investigation, proper documentation, and resolution for all complaints submitted.
- Help with writing scripts for PSAs and MOOCs on editorial policies, media ethics and complaint handling
- Develop recommendations on improving media ethics in Ethiopia.
- Provide accurate reports on media house trainings and ongoing self-regulation activities to project management team
The desired candidate must possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communication, Law or any related field from a reputable institution.
- Minimum of 2 years of professional experience in media work focused on ethics, dispute resolution, dispute prevention, editorial standards management or related aspect.
- Minimum of 2 year experience as lecturer on journalism or media law at a reputable institution.
- Experience as an ombudsperson is a plus
- Excellent conflict resolution capability involving critical thinking techniques;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in working independently, analyzing data, report preparation and presentation.
- High sense of responsibility to ethical practices with respect for media freedom principles.
- Understanding of local circumstances surrounding media coverage as well as Ethiopian laws, regulations and policies.
- Proficiency in English and Amharic; proficiency in other local language is a plus
Who are we:
MERSA Media Institute is a nonprofit media policy think tank. We work to help create vibrant, responsible and independent media institutions, professional unions and education centers through research, capacity building and institutional support in Ethiopia.
How to apply?
If you meet the criteria mentioned above, we invite you to apply. Qualified and interested experts are asked to send a resume and a letter of interest (1 page) that explains why you qualify for the consultancy to email@example.com until August 1, 2023, at 5.30 pm EAT.
MERSA Media Institute is an equal-opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.