Consultancy to deliver training on radio production and podcasting
Call for Application
Job Title: Consultancy to deliver training on radio production and podcasting
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Required number of candidates: 1
Language Required: English and Amharic
Deadline for Application: May 29, 2023
Expected Starting Date: June 02, 2023
Tailor made trainings matter!
Do you want to contribute to the betterment of journalism in Ethiopian media and boost your skills as a trainer?
Studies conducted by Mersa Media Institute (MMI) in partnership with DW Akademie indicated significant gaps in competency and skills in the media workforce and unmet demand from media outlets for tailored practical training provisions that address the professional quality of their staff. Based on the insights learned from these studies and the experience gained out of the engagement in the media sector, MMI and DW Akademie are now collaborating to provide tailor-made training packages on media with the goal to produce the next generation of digital storytellers and platform developers for the Ethiopian media market. Mersa Media institute is positing itself to becoming a training provider on media and journalism education in Ethiopia. As of September 2023, the institute will offer a 3-month long practical training on media and journalism to a new cohort of trainees. Thus, the purpose of the consultancy is to contract an experienced media professional to develop a module and deliver training and mentoring on radio production and podcasting. The expert will work together with other experienced trainers within the MMI trainer pool.
Who can apply?
The aim is to bring an expert in the field of media and journalism to develop a radio and podcast to train new entrants. MMI and DW Akademie are looking for 1 passionate Ethiopian expert with an experience in digital storytelling, radio production, podcast, media production, journalism, communication and specialized reporting. The engagement of the expert spans from June 02 to December 31, 2023. We would love to hear from you if you:
- Are a media expert preferably with experience in radio news production, podcasting
- Have experience in providing tailor-made practical training in media and journalism.
- Have experience in preparing training modules in the field
- Are experienced in mentoring and coaching training participants
- Have reliable internet connection for remote work during planning and trainings
- Can offer the training in-person at MMI training center in Addis Ababa.
- Have a flexible training schedule and are able to work independently without constant supervision
- Have good communication skills to maintain smooth and collaborative relationship with training participants, co-trainers, MMI staff, and project partner.
Scope of work
Being part of the training pool provides a golden opportunity for you to contribute to the betterment of journalism in Ethiopian media and the quality of content delivered to the public. You will also have the chance to expand your skills in peer-to-peer exchange with other skilled MMI trainers. The major tasks of this consultancy will include;
- Develop quality training module on radio production and podcasting per the instruction (briefing) of Mersa Media Institute.
- Prepare training matrix, schedules and other training materials
- Deliver journalistic training sessions and mentor training participants in pitching story ideas, studio and field productions
- Perform other project related tasks, as may be required.
Who we are
MERSA Media Institute is a nonprofit media policy think tank. We work to help create vibrant, responsible, and independent media institutions, professional unions, and education centers through research, capacity building, and institutional support in Ethiopia.
DW Akademie is Deutsche Welle’s center for international media development. As a strategic partner of the German Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development, DW Akademie carries out media development projects that strengthen the human right to freedom of opinion and promote free access to information.
How to apply?
If you meet the criteria mentioned above, we invite you to apply. Qualified and interested experts are asked to send a resume and a letter of interest (1 page) that explains why you qualify for the consultancy, and a portfolio showing two examples of your prior work relevant to this post or you can provide two links to showcase your journalistic (trainer)
work that are relevant to this consultancy. Please submit all your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org until May 29, 2023 at 5.30 pm EAT.
MERSA Media Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type and afford equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.